Friday, May 15, 2026

Hwa Chong Denies Penalising Students Over Canteen Meal Controversy

Hwa Chong Institution Responds to Claims of Student Reprimand Over Canteen Meal Debate
1 min read
Hwa Chong says it did not reprimand or penalise students who spoke about controversial canteen meals

Hwa Chong Institution has denied rumours that it reprimanded or penalised students who spoke out about the school’s new canteen programme. The school addressed the controversy after social media reports suggested that nine students had received demerit points for voicing concerns over the quality of meals served in the school’s canteen.

The issue began when photos of meals served to students, including rice, vegetables, and protein in turquoise trays, were shared on Reddit on January 3, 2026. The images quickly sparked criticism from netizens who questioned the nutritional quality of the meals. When Channel NewsAsia (CNA) interviewed nine students outside the school, they confirmed that the photos accurately reflected the food being served, contradicting the school’s earlier statements denying the validity of the images.

Teacher’s Warning to Students Not to Participate in Controversy

Following the media reports, a screenshot of a message purportedly from a teacher began circulating on social media. The message warned students not to participate in the canteen food controversy, stating, “Please do not circulate photos, messages, and social media posts – we know what the consequences are. Keep your opinion to yourself.” The message also noted that students needed both parental and school consent to give media interviews.

This message raised concerns among parents and online commenters about whether students were being discouraged from expressing their opinions. In response to these concerns, a school spokesperson clarified that the message was sent by a teacher “out of concern for our students’ well-being” and to remind students to be responsible with their online activities. The spokesperson emphasized that the reminder was not intended to stop students from sharing their views or providing feedback through appropriate channels.

School Encourages Student Feedback Through Proper Channels

The spokesperson further stated that no students had been penalised or reprimanded for expressing their opinions about the meals. “We value our students’ perspectives and encourage them to share their thoughts directly with the school so that concerns can be addressed constructively,” the spokesperson said. They added that the school would work with teachers to ensure that communications to students are clear and well-understood.

Hwa Chong also reassured the public that any media engagement involving students would be coordinated with both the school and parents to safeguard students’ well-being.

New Canteen Model Aims to Address Meal Break Delays

The new school meals are part of a hybrid canteen model launched on January 2, 2026, in collaboration with SATS. The programme aims to tackle long queue times during meal breaks and address sector-wide manpower shortages that have been affecting canteen operations. Despite the controversy, the school remains committed to refining the programme based on student feedback.

The Fox Theme